ALLIES Immigrant Integration Goal
Some immigrants or children of immigrants have never received formal schooling in their home language, or received very little formal schooling and never achieved full literacy. The same is true for those born in the U.S. with regards to the language of their heritage.
Attaining or improving First Language Literacy—the ability to read and write in one’s native language—may be a goal for adults who are literate in English and seek to improve their capacity in their native language. Additional motivation may include improving communication with one’s relatives and community (see also Participation in Civic and Community Life), preservation of one’s heritage, or building language skills for work and business relationships (see also Economic Security).
First Language Literacy may also serve as a bridge for adult English learners who are preliterate, those who have not yet developed full literacy in any language.
The resources listed below are organizations and other information in support of this goal.
- Campbell Adult & Community Education (CACE)
- CACE offers Job Training, ESL, Citizenship, Basic Skills, High School Completion and GED/HiSet Preparation. The Career Center offers free academic and career counseling, in-class goal-setting and individualized learning plans. CACE offers open enrollment 4 times a year. Class schedules are flexible, with day, evening, weekend and online options. See CACE Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing Member of the SBCAE (South Bay Consortium of Adult Education). Multi-language: Spanish, Vietnamese Key Words: Immigrant Integration, Vocational Training, Employment counseling, English as a Second Language, ALLIES2, ALLIES5, ALLIES6
- FACTR (Family Alliance for Counseling Tools and Resolution)
- Multi-cultural service, research and training center for the benefit of intergenerational immigrant families experiencing stress in their new environment. Provides counseling, psycho- educational services and cultural awareness programs for newcomer families and their children, regarding state Laws pertaining to Child Protection, Domestic Violence, Educational, Immigration and other areas. Nominal fees for services may be charged based on income. Multi-language: Key Words: Immigrant Integration, Advocacy, Mental Health, Legal, Allies6, Allies7, RIF
- Media Literacy Includes Teaching the Power of Persuasive Language
- Recent news articles about fake news and “alternative facts” make it clear that media literacy is an essential skill we should be building in our classrooms. Beyond figuring out what’s real or fake, students need to understand how persuasive language affects their media experience. That starts with helping them develop rhetorical insight on how word choice and tone affect an audience’s emotional reaction to the information they read. (After all, persuasive language aims to trigger a response.) Understanding the emotional weight of word choice significantly improves students’ ability to engage media critically. This is the first step toward learning the power (and danger) of persuasive writing, which in turn helps them learn to use it properly in their assignments.
- Partners in Reading (PAR)
- Free one-to-one and small group tutoring for adults whose reading or writing skills are below the 9th grade level (any immigration status). and speak / understand conversational English. Tutoring is provided at the MLK Library or another public site in San Jose. Free Beginning and Intermediate ESL classes are offered. Key Words: Family Literacy, Computer Literacy, Immigrant Integration, Education. ALLIES2, ALLIES6 Language: Spanish Area Served: San Jose, CA
- SCC Libraries (SCCL)
- 8 Santa Clara County branch locations, 24/7 E-resources, plus a bookmobile. (Serving Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Milpitas, Morgan Hill, Saratoga and Woodland) Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Access to numerous resources including multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Tutoring, Immigration Legal Asst Key Words: ALLIES2, ALLIE3, ALLIES6, ALLIES7 See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing
- SNAP FOOD ASSISTANCE CAN SUPPORT COLLEGE SUCCESS
- 1/9/19 The federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps) provides nutrition assistance to low-income individuals and families. SNAP is critical because food insecurity is one of the greatest threats to health, wellbeing, and academic success—especially for community college students. People qualify for SNAP by meeting income, asset, and immigration status requirements. Students—defined as those enrolled at least half time—have additional eligibility criterion, such as being the primary caregiver for a young child. Some people enrolled in school do not count as “students” for SNAP purposes, including those enrolled in college less than half-time, or taking certain courses that don’t require a high school diploma to enroll, such as English language or certificate programs. People in these circumstances may be eligible if they meet the standard requirements, without also needing to meet the special student criteria. Key Words: ALLIES5, Public Charge
- San Jose Public Library System (SJPL)
- 27 Branches, Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Tutoring, Partners in Reading, Literacy, Immigration Legal Asst. See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing Key Words: ALLIES2, ALLIES3, ALLIES6, ALLIES7
- Santa Clara City Library
- 3 Branches, Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Adult and Family Literacy Services , Immigration Legal Asst. See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing Key Words: ALLIES2, ALLIES6
- Vision Literacy
- As an organization based in Silicon Valley, we have access to some of the best technologies available - and in our own backyard. We leverage these local resources to help us deliver our vision of providing the most comprehensive adult literacy services available. Training volunteers and offering literacy classes in Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mt. View, and Milpitas. Classes offered free for any level of adult learner who is willing to make a commitment to growth. Key Words: ALLIES6