Education & Employment
Resources for students and teachers Community Colleges, Adult Ed, Distance Learning, Employment Opportunities, Job Search, Workers Rights
- CHILDREN - Colorin Colorado
- A bilingual Web site about reading. Current news articles regarding the COVID-19 impact on schools, ESL, the childcare system and tips for parents. This site is full of information, ideas, and practical tips on how Spanish-speaking parents can help their children become confident, successful readers. In addition, you can find fun reading tips and games, bilingual booklists, ideas for using the public library, and videos of children’s authors, illustrators, and musicians. Resources are organized by topic. Key Words: ESL, Student Resource, Family, Literacy
- CHILDREN - RAFT (Resource Area for Teachers)
- Ideal for Home Schooling. RAFT’s new STEAM Learning Activity Sheets are free online tools that guide parents, guardians, and students through hands-on learning activities taking advantage of common household items and without the need to purchase additional materials. You will find new downloadable activities each day by specific grade level Pre-K to 8th. These projects will aid student retention of valuable STEAM knowledge and skills while aligning to Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
- COMMUNICATIONS - Low Cost Laptops for Lockdown
- Service providers, clients, students and teachers are all working remotely and low cost refurbished laptops or tablets are available for purchase in any quantity from Aspen. Contact Jim Hu at: Sales@azpenpc.com 214-212-6838 Key Words: ALLIES1, ALLIES5, Education, COVID-19, coronavirus, disaster, Education, student
- DISTANCE LEARNING - Brainpop.com Distance Learning Resources for Schools, Teachers and Parents
- Free Access to Brainpop.com Distance Learning Resources for as long as schools are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Cartoon Video Explaining Coronavirus for Children , games and Activities. Navigating the outbreak of this virus can be difficult for children and grown-ups. We've curated a list of our best resources to help children stay calm—and informed. Key Words: Education, Mental Health, ALLIES5
- EDUCATION - CA schools to stay closed through end of academic year, Newsom says
- 4/1/20 Gov. Gavin Newsom on Wednesday confirmed that schools in California won't reopen after state Superintendent Tony Thurmond said students may not be able to return to campus for the remainder of the school year - but classes would remain in session, he said. There is still "distance learning" going on from home. Limited access to home internet for countless of students has cropped up as a major concern among parents and education officials under the statewide closure of schools. During a daily press conference, Newsom announced a partnership with Google to provide 100,000 access points to internet across the state, as well as thousands of Chromebooks to "substantially" mitigate that digital divide. Key Words: Coronavirus, COVID-19
- EDUCATION - Cal Grant Administrative Requirements Eased by Governor's Executive Order
- 5/20/20 Gov. Newsom issued an executive order easing certain administrative requirements for verifying Cal Grant eligibility. The deadline by which Cal Grant applicants must verify their Grade Point Average (GPA) is extended to 9/2/20. This applies to students that submitted a financial aid application before the deadline but do not yet have a verified GPA on file. It also waives the verification of Selective Service registration for students applying for financial aid via the CA Dream Act Application (CADAA) for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years. New Cal Grant applicants can self-certify their high school graduation if their school is unable to do so due to school closures. Students can log onto their WebGrants 4 Students account to determine the next steps in accessing their Cal Grant award or call (888) CA GRANT, for assistance. Full Executive Order Key Words: Pandemic, COVID-19, Coronavirus, Education, CSAC, ALLIES5
- EDUCATION - California Dream Act Application
- The CA Dream Act Application allows students interested in attending eligible California Colleges, Universities and Career Education Programs to apply for state financial aid. This application is unrelated to the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. Key Words: ALLIES5
- EDUCATION - Opportunity Youth Academy (OYA)
- The Opportunity Youth Academy offers Santa Clara County students a blended program of teacher-directed instruction and online credit accrual and recovery options. The individualized support of teachers, counselors, navigators, liaisons and access to the services of SCCOE partners from community-based organizations is the hallmark of this unique program. The focus is ensuring that students leave the program with a high school diploma, and a path to college or career. The classes satisfy admission requirements for CA public universities and military service. Offices in: Milpitas, Gilroy, and San Jose Key Words: mental health, juvenile justice, ALLIES5
- EDUCATION - Silicon Valley Community Foundation Scholarships
COVID-19 Scholarships Updates
March scholarship due dates have been extended. Please keep in mind that our physical offices are closed. Email is best, but leave a voicemail if you wish to receive a call back. Scholarships staff can be reached via email@example.com or 650.450.5487 from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
SVCF administers a variety of scholarship programs for high school seniors, college and graduate school students, vocational and re-entry students. Scholarship deadlines and requirements vary; please review complete information on each program's web page. In general, applications are accepted in January and February. Key Words: Financial Aid, Key Words: Education, ALLIES5, Coronavirus
- EMPLOYENT - OnwardCA
- OnwardCA is an initiative of companies, foundations, and humans to get California workers displaced by COVID-19 essential life services and back to work as quickly as possible. Help you get money or groceries or child care; help you upskill, reskill, or refresh; and help you land a great new job.
- EMPLOYMENT - 2020 Census Jobs
- 5/7/20 It’s not too late to apply for a temporary part-time position with the 2020 Census. Apply to earn extra income and help your community. 2020 Census field operations have resumed in select locations across the nation. Jobs still available in Sunnyvale and San Jose. Must be a US Citizen. The phased return-to-work plan adheres to guidance from the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Personnel Management as well as federal, state and local authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Key Words: ALLIES1
- EMPLOYMENT - CA EDD (Employment Development Dept)
- California is responding to the spread of a respiratory illness caused by a new coronavirus (COVID-19). While investigations to learn more about the virus are ongoing, workers and employers should review their health and safety procedures to help prevent exposure to the virus. The EDD provides a variety of support services to people who have lost their jobs or have had their hours reduced due to the impacts of COVID-19. Key Words: Business, Unemployment,
- EMPLOYMENT - CA EDD -How to File a Paid Family Leave Claim in SDI Online
- If you’re unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a Paid Family Leave (PFL) claim. PFL provides up to six weeks of benefit payments at approximately 60-70 percent of wages. Key Words: ALLIES1, coronavirus, employment, finance Spanish
- EMPLOYMENT - CA Labor & Workforce Development
- Grid of Benefits and eligibility for Workers Impacted by COVID-19. What employees are entitled to may be confusing. The purpose of this information is to make it easier to understand what resources may be available. Key Words: Disability, Unemployment, Paid Family Leave, Paid Sick Leave, Workers' Compensation
- EMPLOYMENT - Disaster Unemployment Insurance
- 3/25/20 Grants Flexibility to Temporarily Loosen State UI Policies. Changes in state laws governing the UI program must be approved by the U.S. Department of Labor. H.R. 6201 waives this requirement if the state pursues the following temporary changes: (1) eliminating the one-week waiting period before a worker is eligible for UI, (2) loosening work search requirements, (3) loosening so-called “good cause” requirements that limit when workers may receive UI benefits if they leave their job voluntarily, and (4) changing how employers’ experience ratings are calculated for COVID-19-related unemployment. Key Words: ALLIES1, Disaster, pandemic, coronavirus
- EMPLOYMENT - FAQs for Workers - Know Your Rights
- This information from the CA State Employment Development Dept provides general guidance as to what programs are available and what situations may be applicable to your circumstances. We encourage you to apply for the program you believe best fits your needs and the EDD will determine your eligibility for Disability or Paid Family Leave or Unemployment Insurance Benefits Multi-language: Spanish Key Words: Coronavirus, Jobs, KYR, ALLIES1, COVID-19
- EMPLOYMENT - Immigrant Workers' Rights and COVID-19 - Frequently Asked Questions
- 4/10/20 This document from the National Employment Law Project.answers frequently asked questions from immigrant workers and their advocates about COVID-19-related topics. The COVID-19 public health crisis is creating many challenges for immigrant workers and their families. An estimated six million immigrants are in essential jobs at the front lines of the response to this pandemic. They work in industries such as health care, grocery and pharmacy retail, manufacturing, cleaning and janitorial services, and agriculture. An additional six million foreign-born workers are employed in industries that have been hard-hit by business closures. These include food service, travel and hospitality, personal services and private household work, and building services. Key Words: ALLIES1, Undocumented
- EMPLOYMENT - Non-English speakers struggle to file unemployment applications
- 4/2/20 In diverse California, where roughly 44% of the population speaks a language other than English at home and 27 % are foreign born, the state’s Employment Development Department offers more than 70 language options to translate the content of its website, from Latvian to Yiddish, Swahili and Hmong, among others. But to file for unemployment, the applications themselves must be filed out — either online, faxed or mailed — in English or Spanish. The department does provide sample applications for Armenian, Chinese-Cantonese, Chinese-Mandarin, Hmong, Korean, Laotian, Punjabi, Russian, Tagalog, and Vietnamese, speakers, but will not accept claims submitted in those languages. For some, lack of internet access compounds the challenges Key Words: COVID-19
- EMPLOYMENT - Remote.co - Remote Employment Job Listing
- Looking for a remote job as a developer, customer service rep, recruiter, designer or sales professional? Browse openings in those categories and more below. We hand curate this list to showcase the best remote job opportunities in the most recruited job categories. Find a remote job here to launch your work anywhere career. Key Words: coronavirus, employment, COVID-19
- EMPLOYMENT - Silicon Valley Council of Non-Profits (SVCN) Job Board
- The SVCN is leveraging our job board to help nonprofits providing essential services connect with talented and passionate nonprofit staff who suddenly find themselves out of work or underemployed. If you have openings you need to fill right away, we'll post the positions on our website and share them with our nonprofit email list and on our social media feeds including LinkedIn. Not a member? No problem. We're waiving the fees for jobs that qualify as essential services under the current shelter-in-place order. Please choose the Member rate on the submission form. Key Words: Employment
- EMPLOYMENT - Undocumented Workers’ Employment Rights
- With a few exceptions, undocumented workers enjoy all of the legal rights and remedies provided to workers by both federal and California law. Multi-language: Spanish | Chinese | Key Words: ALLIES1, discrimination, job
- EMPLOYMENT - Unemployment Insurance Provisions in the CARES Act
- This fact sheet from the National Employment Law Project details the new programs created by the CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act and what they do. Key Words: COVID-19
- EMPLOYMENT - Work2Future
COVID-19 Update: Shifted from in-person services to remote assistance. Information and links to Coronavirus relief information for individuals, businesses, and employment opportunities.
Work2future operates One-Stop Centers that serve the areas of San Jose, Campbell, Morgan Hill, Los Altos Hills, Gilroy, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Monte Sereno, and the unincorporated areas of Santa Clara County. Free services and classes are provided for residents, businesses, and youth, including: job search, job training, ESL classes, assessments, career counseling, and more. Information in English, Spanish and Vietnamese. Key Words: Allies5, ALLIES1
- EMPLOYMENT- Disaster Response Jobs at SBA
- In response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, SBA is hiring for a number of positions. The SBA is hiring temporary employees to assist with disaster relief efforts. Bilingual language skills a plus. ****Call Center Customer Service Representative (CSR) ****Document Preparation/Legal Review/ Loan Closings ****Loan Processing/Credit Analysis /Mortgage /Underwriting ****Program Support Key Words: Jobs,
- FINANCE - Loan Forbearance Info for Student and Parent Borrowers
- 3/13/20 We at Federal Student Aid are actively monitoring the new coronavirus/COVID-19 outbreak. To provide relief to student loan borrowers during the COVID-19 national emergency, federal student loan borrowers can be placed in an administrative forbearance, which allows you to temporarily stop making your monthly loan payment. Key Words: ALLIES5, Education, COVID-19
- LEGAL - Filipino Bar Association of Northern California (FBANC)
FBANC hotline for help completing EDD forms including Unemployment, State Disability and Paid Family Leave (415) 484-2209. Options for Undocumented.
Multi-Language: Tagalog, Spanish, Illocano, Cebuano, Cantonese, Mandarin and Korean,
FBANC provides mentoring and scholarships for Filipino law students, social events, legal clinics for immigrants, job postings, networking and more for members. Key Words: Asian, API, Education, Scholarships, Financial Aid
- LEGAL - Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center
- COVID-19 Update: We are continuing to educate our clinical law students and serve clients remotely. For pro bono advice and representation in: Consumer Law, Immigration Law, or Workers' Rights, please leave a voicemail at (408) 288-7030. Free Santa Clara County Office of Labor Enforcement advice line on employment law issues. 1(866) 870-7725. Multi-language: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Mandarin Key Words: ALLIES1
- LEGAL - Legal Aid at Work
- 3/24/20 COVID-19 Update - If you are having work-related issues due to the coronavirus, call our Work & Family helpline: 800-880-8047 or general helpline: 415-864-8848. Multi-language: English, Spanish, Chinese, Urdu, Vietnamese and Farsi English Coronavirus FAQ | Vietnamese Coronavirus FAQ | Spanish Coronavirus FAQ | Chinese Coronavirus FAQ Key Words: Employment
- RESOURCE - Mountain View Library
The Library is closed until further notice. The Digital Library is available 24/7.
Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents, Multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Club, Citizenship Resources, Literacy, Immigration Legal Asst. See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing
- RESOURCE - Palo Alto Library
Palo Alto Libraries are closed, though the online e-library is available 24/7.
3 Branches, Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents, Multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Literacy, Immigration Legal Asst. See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing
- RESOURCE - Activities for ESL Students
- Quizzes, tests, exercises and puzzles to help you learn English as a Second Language. This project of The Internet TESL Journal (iteslj.org) has thousands of contributions by many teachers. Includes bi-lingual quizzes in numerous languages from Arabic to Zulu. Key Words: Student Resource, Instructor Resource
- RESOURCE - Los Gatos Library
The library is closed until further notice. Online services such as e-books through Cloud Library and e-magazines through Flipster are available. If you need a Library account to access these services, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily create a new account for you.
Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, ProCitizen Test Practice Literacy, Immigration Legal Asst. ALLIES2 See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing
- RESOURCE - San Jose Public Library eLibrary Card
- COVID-19 Update: Schools and libraries may be temporarily closed during the COVID-19 response, but library resources are available online, 24/7, to help students complete their homework and to assist teachers and parents with preparing lessons and managing children's education from home. Online Application Spanish Vietnamese Chinese Key Words: ALLIES5, COVID-19, pandemic, coronavirus
- RESOURCE - Santa Clara City Library
Facilities are closed until further notice:
On line ESL resources, books and multi-language periodicals available.
3 Branches, Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Adult and Family Literacy Services , Immigration Legal Asst. See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing Key Words: ALLIES2, ALLIES6
- RESOURCE - Santa Clara County CAN (COVID-19 Assistance Navigation Hotline)
- Leave a message on the SCC CAN Hotline 408-802-2124 and receive a call back within 24 hours with assistance to: ***Navigate safety net services like unemployment, food, housing, and others by helping you understand what assistance is available and guiding you through the application process. ***If needed, we can connect you with legal aid attorneys to answer questions about work related legal issues, such as questions related to employment status and income. Mulri-language: English, Spanish and Vietnamese SCC CAN is a project of the Fair Workplace Collaborative: Vietnamese American Round Table, Pilipino Association of Workers and Immigrants, Day Worker Center of Mountain View, Step Forward Foundation, Enterprise Foundation, Latino Business Council of Silicon Valley, Working Partnerships USA
- RESOURCE - Santa Clara County Libraries (SCCL)
3/12/20 COVID-19 UPDATE: The libraries are currently closed and all events cancelled due to the COVID-19 virus. ONLINE LIBRARY 24/7 Available eBooks, Digital Magazines and Newspapers, Streaming Video and Music, Online Classes,Tutors, and more.
8 Santa Clara County branch locations, 24/7 E-resources, plus a bookmobile. (Serving Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Milpitas, Morgan Hill, Saratoga and Woodland) Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Access to numerous resources including multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Tutoring, Immigration Legal Asst Key Words: ALLIES2, ALLIE3, ALLIES7 See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing
- RESOURCE - Sunnyvale Library
The Sunnyvale Public Library facility is currently closed in compliance with the latest public health order, the following Library services are still currently available:
Enjoy eBooks and eAudiobooks, streaming movies, music, and more – the Library’s digital collections are available 24/7 from our Downloads and Streaming and Online Databases webpages.
Ask us – Library staff are available to respond to questions by phone or via email on weekdays. Leave a voicemail at 408-730-7300
Free Library Cards for Santa Clara County Residents (any immigration status). Multi-language books, periodicals, videos, ESL Conversation Clubs, Citizenship Resources, Literacy, Immigration Legal Asst. See Immigrantinfo ESL Class Listing
- RESOURCE - Technology Guide for People with Disabilities
- Various organizations work to help people with disabilities to overcome social, physical, attitudinal or other difficulties and avoid exclusion from many areas of life. Many employers nowadays offer opportunities for them to earn decent money. And there are multiple resources, software programs, and technological devices to help young people with different disabilities to obtain a proper education and subsequent benefits. Key Words: ALLIES5
- RESOURCE - Union Plus
- Union Privilege is a nonprofit organization founded by the AFL-CIO in 1986 to provide excellent consumer Union Plus benefit programs exclusively to union members (current and retired) and their families. Did you know that there are more than 12 million union members in the United States? Because of our strength in numbers, we’re able to negotiate exclusive discounts and financial assistance programs just for union members and their families. Savings and Unique Programs — Pay it Forward We pass along the exclusive benefits we’ve negotiated on behalf of union members directly to you. These benefits and programs are FREE to union members and their families. There’s no membership —if you’re a current or retired union member or a family member — you’re in.